Wednesday 11 July 2012

3. Recipe: Naked burrito

Ladies and gentlemen,

I have resolved that I will update this blog weekly on a Wednesday, to establish some kind of regularity.

I'm currently writing a two part shirt buying guide, which I was planning to have ready by tonight. However, video games and exercise got in the way. I offer instead, a quick and easy guide on how to cook one of my staple foods - the naked burrito. Today's rendition will be a more basic version.

First things first, naked burrito is simply a burrito without the tortilla. I first saw it at Mad Mex years and years ago. You should be making this regularly for the following reasons:

1) Quick - 10 minutes to make
2) Cheap - costs $10 for ingredients
3) Healthy - low carb, high protein
4) Neverendingly tasty - I've eaten this nearly every week for 18 months, still not over it
5) Versatile - you can add/remove ingredients to your liking (more on this later)
6) Good reheat value - you can microwave it and it still tastes good

Ingredients*


500g lean minced beef
1 packet burrito seasoning (or just add paprika/garlic powder/cumin)
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 an onion, chopped
Bunch of coriander, chopped
1 teaspoon/clove crushed garlic

*Optional: avocado, chilli flakes, cheese, sour cream, capsicum, kidney beans, cashews

Little did the mince know how delicious it would become

Method:

1. Gently heat a tablespoon of oil in a hot pan.
2. Add 2/3 of the onion and garlic, and cook it until it's soft and golden. The secret is to cook it slowly, if the heat is too high, you'll burn the garlic and no one will like you.

The onion on the other hand, totally knew

3. Once the onion and garlic is giving off mad vibes/aromas, throw all of the mince in and increase the heat to medium/high. Using a wooden spoon, break the mince up and stir it constantly.

4. When it's all brown and cooked, add the burrito seasoning and give it a good stir around. This would also be a good time to add beans/nuts. Any time before this might result in the beans getting mushy and making the meat sloppy and gross.

5. The finished result should look like the below. If it doesn't, you did it wrong. Call Pizza Hut and try again in a few days.


6. Combine the rest of the onion, tomato and coriander in a bowl. Congratulations, you have made a salsa. Ooooh, and add some Tabasco, but only a bit - no one likes a hero.

7. Layer the dish as per the following: meat, cheese, salsa (and sour cream after that). See below:




And there you have it, a simple yet healthy and delicious meal that you'll be happy to take to work tomorrow. Chances are you'll eat it before lunch time since it's so damn good!**

Loic



**Let me expand on that. One time at primary school, mum packed me spaghetti for lunch and I was looking forward to it so much that I tried to have it at recess. I was standing in the canteen line parading my tupperware with spaghetti waiting to get it heated up. Out of nowhere, a soccerball flies straight into my hand and spaghetti went everywhere. I got in trouble and had to clean it up.  (why did I take the lid off?!)




No comments:

Post a Comment